16 January 2013

Czisny out of Nats, Korpi out of Euros


Less than two weeks before the 2013 U.S. Figure Skating Championships (Jan. 20-27, in Omaha, Neb), Alissa Czisny took a rough fall on a triple flip during her free skate at the Fox Cities Invitational in Appleton, Wisconsin, and dislocated her left hip. It looked to be a serious injury, as she was unable to leave the ice by herself after the fall.

Recent reports, however, say it is not a career trheatening injury, but she has withdrawn from Nationals. The competition was her first since the 2012 World Figure Skating Championships last March.

Czisny was treated at a local hospital and is now resting. She will undergo further evaluation.

Czisny had surgery to repair a labral tear in her left hip over the summer and withdrew in November from the NHK Trophy to give herself more time to prepare. Her appearance at Fox Cities was a warmup leading up to Nationals.

Czisny posted Johnny Ray Ryder Jr.'s poem on her FB page the night of her injury:

A mighty wind blew night and day.
It stole the Oak Tree's leaves away.
Then snapped its boughs
and pulled its bark
until the Oak was tired and stark.

But still the Oak Tree held its ground
while other trees fell all around.
The weary wind gave up and spoke,
"How can you still be standing Oak?"

The Oak Tree said, I know that you
can break each branch of mine in two,
carry every leaf away,
shake my limbs and make me sway.

But I have roots stretched in the earth,
growing stronger since my birth.
You'll never touch them, for you see
they are the deepest part of me.

Until today, I wasn't sure
of just how much I could endure.
But now I've found with thanks to you,
I'm stronger than I ever knew.


Late last week, reigning European silver medalist Kiira Korpi announced that she withdrew from the 2013 European Championships due to inflammation in her left Achilles tendon. The inflammation was so bad after Christmas that she had to resort to crutches.

Korpi began her season at the 2012 Finlandia Trophy, where she won the silver medal. She then won her third Grand Prix medal, a bronze, at the 2012 Cup of China. At the 2012 Rostelecom Cup, Korpi won the second GP title of her career and qualified for her first Grand Prix Final. In doing so, she became the first Finnish figure skater to ever qualify for the final. She finished fourth at the event. Korpi's next event was the 2013 Finnish Nationals, where she took the gold medal.

The injury seems quite serious, since Korpi can't skate and must observe full rest. She said, however, that it do not require any surgery. Korpi is confident she will recover in time for Worlds, in March.



Source: USFSA and Yle

8 comments:

  1. Kiira told yesterday for Finnish Yle that she is waiting doctor's permission to start practice again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info! I heard in the meantime she's doing out of ice rehab and training.
    I really wish her a speedy recovery!

    Ps: I had a question for you. I noticed you use google ads, how does it work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just register/log in to google.com/adsense and then you can choose the placement and number of the ads via blogger's gadgets. I really don't get much income from them, but it doesn't cost anything so why not to use it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right ;) Are you credited only for clicked ads, right? And where they credit the income of your ads?
    Sorry for all these questions, but I've never used it :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. If someone clicks the ad, I'll receive about 0,20 € of it. It depends on the ad. The text ads are more profitable than the ads with pictures. You see the number of clicks and income on adsense. After you have received 70 euros, you can get the money to your bank account.

    I sometimes click some skating forums' ads just to show some support for them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for the infos! I'm considering to put them on this blog, too.
    Yeah I do it too to help forums and blogs. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura, did you hear that Pechalat/Bourzat just withdrew from the Euros? This means that... ;-))))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I posted the news on Fb. Fabian partly tore his adductor in practice. But he should recover in times for Worlds.

    I'm really sorry for them! Really! It’s nevertheless true that Anna & Luca will have more chances for the gold and no one can blame us for being happy for that... ;)

    ReplyDelete