23 July 2012

Kostner & Kim: two Queens committed to fight for one crown

by sineddine
After news of both Carolina Kostner and Yu-na Kim undecided about going on competing, things have notably changed over the summer.

At the start of June, Carolina Kostner told the Italian weekly magazine Gente "Now that I've had the satisfaction of climbing onto the world's highest stage, I'm happy, and I might choose to resume my (normal) life."

"I've devoted all of myself to this sport for 10 years," she said. "I've sacrificed friends and affection, and sweated for every single victory." But she also said that she needed time to reflect.

And after a month, a note on her Official Website restored her fans's hopes, and Italians's in particular:

"Dear friends, I've been thinking about my life and future a lot lately and after consulting my coach and family, I decided to continue my competitive career until Sochi 2014. It won't be an easy challenge, therefore I hope you will keep supporting me the way you did through all of these years! Thank you. Love, Carolina"

by eisenjimmy
Also reigning Olympic champion Yu-na Kim was undecided at the end of June about resuming her competive career, but some days later at a press conference in Seoul she announced she will return to competitive skating and continue through the 2014 Olympics in Sochi.

"After Vancouver, I couldn't find a bigger goal for myself as a figure skater, but expectations from fans kept growing," Kim said. "I was really burdened by them all. I had no idea just how much harder I had to train to stay in form, and I was afraid that I would let so many people down if I made mistakes in competition."

But after training with younger skaters in Seoul "I was inspired by their hard work. It also gave me the drive to keep going, and I decided I still had some business left to take care of."

She can't participate in the 2012 Grand Prix Series, so it is still unknown when her first competitive appearance will be, and also by whom she will be coached.

Yu-na Kim is 22 and Carolina Kostner is 25 years old, which makes her one of the oldest active competitors. The competition in the female field in the next two seasons will get tougher and tougher. With the comeback of Miki Ando, Joannie Rochette pondering her return, Akiko Suzuki in great shape, along with the new coming Russian youngsters, the two queens are ready to fight hard for the throne?

Good luck girls!


Sources: icenetwork.com, icenetwork.com, Karolina Kostner's Official Website

No comments:

Post a Comment