22 July 2012

Joannie Rochette pondering return to Olympics


Canadian hero Joannie Rochette may decide to compete at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.

Guys, that's what I call an unforeseen piece of news!

At the Vancouver Olympics in 2010, Joannie's mother, Thérèse, died of a heart attack at age 55 after arriving to watch her compete. Joannie received the tragic news while practicing for the short programme, but she chose to remain in the competition in her mother's honour, and with two poignant performances captured hearts around the world.

Joannie won a bronze medal in Vancouver and the respect and love of all figure skating fans.


After carrying the Canadian flag in the Olympics closing ceremony, Rochette went home to Quebec to grieve in private. At her mother's funeral, during the mass, she placed her Olympic bronze medal on the casket.

"I would love to be on the Canadian Olympic team once more, for sure," Joannie said. "I would like to go back and have an Olympic experience that is more light on the heart, to have a happy Olympics. But at the same time, it's a big commitment."

"I think I'll know (what decision to make) by how I feel on the ice. I love to skate and I think I'm still in good enough shape to go back but, at the same time, I could have other opportunities in my life," she continued. At age 26, Rochette is already looking forward to a non-skating life, finishing her college studies and one day having children.

"If Joannie wanted to be part of the 2014 team, we'd love to have her. She's been a great competitor, a great role model for Canadian skating. Who wouldn't want her included in the mix?" said Skate Canada high performance director Mike Slipchuk.

Good luck Joannie, with love to see you in competition again!



No comments:

Post a Comment