31 March 2012

Worlds 2012 - Men SP



Fifth day of these 2012 World Championships, and this is continues to be one of those strange events where none of the top skaters skated cleanly. Patrick Chan took the lead with a short program that wasn't without errors. Michal Brezina and Daisuke Takahashi follow in second and third.
Of the 30 men who performed today, only 24 made it to the free. Good luck to all the skaters for Saturday SP.




Patrick Chan

Performing to “Take Five”, Chan hit a triple Axel, triple Lutz-triple toeloop combination and two level-four spins, but he stepped out of the quadruple toeloop and was off balance in his footwork. “It was a little shaky. I had a little mistake on my quad, so I had to do the combination later on, but this is a thing I practice every day. Then in the step sequence it was very good that I was strong enough to keep it all together and regain my balance. Overall I am very happy with the outcome”, Chan said.
It's not a secret I' don't like him very much, but I like his routine enough and I was really sad to see him making some mistakes in an otherwise good program.



Michal Brezina

Brezina gave himself a nice 22nd birthday present by putting out a strong Short Program that featured a triple Axel, triple flip-triple toe and a quadruple Salchow. The Czech skater picked up a level four for the three spins and the straight line step sequence in his Kodo Drums routine. “It is for the first time that I skated the program clean with the quad (Salchow) in it, and I am happy that I did it at Worlds. I got a nice shiny medal and I think I couldn't have gotten any better present for my birthday”, Brezina noted.



Daisuke Takahashi

Takahashi went for quadruple-triple toe in his performance to “In the Garden of the Souls” but stumbled on the second jump that was downgraded. But he recovered to land a triple Axel and a triple Lutz. “I feel good about my quad toe and then calculated if I should add the triple toe after this. It could be better in order to get a higher score. That is what caused my mistake on the triple toe. I shouldn't have been thinking like that. I am not happy about it but my overall performance was quite good. I was satisfied to be able to include a quad toe in my short program“, Daisuke commented.
Despite the mistakes, Takahashi's skating is always breathtaking and fascinating.



Brian Joubert

Brian completed a quadruple-triple toeloop combination, a triple Axel and triple flip. The stress was clearly visible on his face when he stepped in the rink. But after a clean program his expression trasfigured into one of the beutiful smile of his own.









Jeremy Abbott


Yes Jeremy, why? Abbott overcooked his opening triple flip-triple toe combination and took a fall early in the program. After recovering with a strong triple axel, he had a second mistake, doubling his solo triple lutz. The fall and the popped lutz were costly...













Kevin Van Der Perren

Kevin deserved a different farewell than the painful one he had in Sheffield. In the last Europeans Kevin Van Der Perren had to withdraw due to injury. I'm happy to see he decided to partecipate at these worlds, even if he was not satisfied with his performance (let's just say his expression at the K&C told a lot!)
Kevin is one of my favourite skaters, even if maybe he's not one of the top skaters. Knowing he wants to turn professional breaks my heart...





No comments:

Post a Comment