28 March 2012

Worlds 2012 - Ladies' preliminary round



Second day of these 2012 World Championships, and we go on with the ladies' preliminary round. Of the 33 ladies who performed today, only 12 made it to the short. And our Valentina Marchei is among them! Good luck to all the ladies for Thursday SP.


Jenna McCorkell

Skating to “Where Have All the Flowers Gone”, McCorkell landed a triple Lutz, Flip, toe and loop. She only touched down with her hand on the second triple toe. The British Champion scored 95.63 points, a seasons best. “I'm really pleased to show almost all I can do and am happy to qualify. Now I just want to skate to my ability well enough to make myself and my team proud”, McCorkell said. “I skated to this music when I was 11 years old in a little white dress. My choreographer was Lorna Brown and I went back to her to choreograph this program. I've come full circle choosing to skate it today. I know that Katarina Witt skated to this music (in 1994) and I loved it back then”, she added when asked about her music choice.

Elena Glebova

Glebova's routine to “Spartacus” featured four clean triples as well, but she stepped out of the triple Lutz. The Estonian picked up a seasons best of 92.52 points. “I am very satisfied. The first mark is very high, the second is not as good, but I understand, that it's just a qualifying round, it should be higher in the final. As for my performance, it was good, I enjoyed my skating. All the trainings went smoothly for me”, Glebova commented.

Sonia Lafuente

Lafuente completed four triple jumps to score 91.84 points. “It was really great, better than I was expecting because my warm-up wasn't the best, but it went really well. I was very happy because it is my best (free skate) score of the season. Last year (at Worlds) I fell on the loop in the short program and didn't qualify for the free skating. This year I will try to be in the final and in the first 18 so next year I don't have to do qualifying”, the Spanish Champion noted.

If some charitable soul will upload some homemade videos of the preliminary rounds, I'll post them. So, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment