24 January 2012

European Championships 2012 - PRELIMINARY ROUND MEN RESULTS


Yesterday in Sheffield skaters competed the preliminary rounds to qualify for the remaining places in the SP. Men competed in the evening, and here you can see the athletes that have qualified (marked with a "Q").



Plushenko gained entry into the main draw, hiting a quad and two triple Axels. "This was the hardest program I ever skated," an exhausted Plushenko said, still trying hard to catch his breath. "I am thankful to the ISU, which made an exception to let me skate here. But if you are not completely healthy, it is very difficult."

Renewed trouble with his knee made jumping painful and Pliushenko will likely not compete at worlds. "After Europeans I have to undergo surgery on my meniscus again."

Despite this, Plushenko will press on in Sheffield, hoping to compete with younger skaters. "Worlds would be very difficult for me because the young skaters have become so much better. My plan is to get in really good shape next season and then be competitive until the Olympics in 2014. I am happy that U.S. skaters Johnny Weir and Evan Lysacek plan to come back as well, and am looking forward to competing against them next season."




John Kerr commented on its Facebook profile: "Great first day of competition at the European Championships in Sheffield. I think Mr Plushenko definitely put down a marker for the rest of the competition ;-)"
Despite having been away from competition so long, he's still beautiful to see: its technique, its charisma, his footwork, his jumps... I'm a little worried about him, I hope he will heal completly for the next season. Anyway, I'll be likely to celebrate even if he wont win this title. He's back, and he returned with a bang, I really admire his strength of will and determination.

Unluckly, there is also bad news: Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy have withdrawn from Europeans. She is unable to land jumps or throws following her training injury.




Source: icenetwork.com

No comments:

Post a Comment